Wednesday, October 10, 2007

'Once Bitten, Twice Shy' by Jennifer Rardin



ISBN:031602046X
Format: Paperback, 308pp
Publisher: Orbit
Price: $12.99

Before I started reading Once Bitten, Twice Shy I had read several reviews that claimed that this was a good book, a great book even. But in no way was I prepared for how truly wonderful Once Bitten, Twice Shy turned out to be. I loved it, plain and simple as that.

The story kicks off with Jaz and Vayl working together in Miami. Vayl is a vampire assassin, one of the CIA’s best, and Jaz is his bodyguard/assistant assassin. Six months previously Vayl had requested that she be assigned to him, since then the two have been dancing a fine line between working partners and something more.

When a routine assassination in Miami turns into a plot to infect the planet with a deadly virus, Vayl and Jaz find themselves in the middle of it. With a dirty senator on one side and a crazed fanatic on the other they must discover what links all the players together. Unsure of who they can trust or where they can turn Jaz and Vayl turn to each other.

Along the way we met a cast of supporting characters that are perfect; private investigator Cole, who just happens to find Jaz irresistible, to the irradiation of Vayl. Liliana, Vayl’s vampire ex-wife, who we love to hate; Cassandra, a psychic who helps Jaz tap into some of her extra ordinary gifts and Bergman, a freelance tech guy for the CIA, and one of Jaz’s oldest friends.

Jaz’s inner dialogue was fun, she’s a smart-ass and has a bit of temper but you just love her all the more for it. She does have an edge most of the time but underneath all that is a woman who has been to hell and back. Jaz loves her family, even if they get on her nerves; she loves her country, her job and will do whatever it takes to keep Vayl safe. This is a character that you fall in love with from the start. Who wouldn’t like a smart-mouth assassin with a penchant for nice cars?

Something else I loved about Once Bitten, Twice Shy is that it starts out so simple. You think that you already know how the story will go and as you read on you realize that this is something completely new. Jennifer Rardin is a name to watch and if you haven’t yet picked up her debut then you should. I already can’t wait to read the second, Another One Bites the Dust.

18 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did!
I'm dying to read the next!

T.C. Robson said...

A CIA-employed vampire. Well, that's new. :) Yet another great review!

Katie said...

Angela, I can't wait for the next one either! I really love the characters.

Sevenine, Thanks. It was a grea book. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!
I have been put off most vampire novels since the last series I read.

I am looking forward to picking this one up!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!
I have been put off most vampire novels since the last series I read.

I am looking forward to picking this one up!

Katie McKenna said...

This sounds like a fabulous fun read! Thank you!

phsymom said...

On my "to be purchased" list ... dang it! Never enough money. *sigh*

Moving it up the list though. Thanks for the great review.

Katie said...

Roo, what was the last one you read? What put you off about it?

Katie, it was very, very good. If you read it, let me know. I would love ot know what you thought of it. :)

Phsymom, I know! Money and books just never seem to even out :)

Meg said...

Yes! My friends and I love vampire romance novels.

One of our friends is dating a guy at another college, and they keep in touch by calling each other at night; thus, we theorized that her boyfriend is a vampire due to late-night phone calls.

We've been giving her a vamp romance a month ever since. This'll be my next recommendation to her =)

Katie said...

Meg, LOL! that's funny :)

minijonb said...

why do i have that song by Great White stuck in my head now...

=:-)

Katie said...

LOL!!! :)

Gav's Studio said...

Such a passionate review! I might have to check it out!

Katie said...

Gav, you should! I loved it!

Gav's Studio said...

You twisted my arm - it's now in 'The Pile'!

Graeme Flory said...

Just started this one today, looking good so far :o) It was your review that made me bump this one to the top of the pile ;o)

Katie said...

Graeme, Can't wait to see what you thought of it. I loved it, such great characters. :)Do you like it so far?

Chris, The Book Swede said...

Hey Katie! Jennifer Rardin has just picked a Quote of the Week on my blog :) Thought you might like it!

~Chris
The Book Swede