Sunday, October 14, 2007

'Dark Hunger' by Christine Feehan (Graphic Novel)


ISBN: 0425217833
Format: Paperback, 208pp
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Pub. Date: October 2007
Price: $10.00

While reading Dark Hunger I found myself giggling horribly like some preteen girl reading her mother’s explicit romance novel. I loved it, don’t get me wrong, but it was just so hard to take seriously. Its all-over-the-top dramatic dialogue set against the backdrop of a handsomely drawn long-haired man and a busty brunette. Throw in a little blood, some shape-shifting fight scenes, and a few moments gone hazy with love and you have something that is just so hard to put down!

Riordan is a Carpathian male who has been captured and held prisoner by a master vampire. Juliette is a shape-shifter who breaks into a lab in the middle of the jungle to release the animals being held there. She finds Riordan chained in a cell and sets him free. Immediately he realizes that she is his life mate, though it takes a little longer to convince her of that fact.

But once Juliette accepts the truth of the matter we move on to find out that her cousin and little sister are in trouble. The master vampire, the one that Riordan had been hunting but was captured by, was indirectly involved by helping rouged shape-shifting males. So with Riordan by her side, Juliette charges into the jungle to avenge her family and free her captured sister.

Carpathian’s hunt vampires mostly because they are capable of becoming a vampire if they surrender to the darker side of their nature. Which is why Feehan’s books are so successful. Every woman loves to read about the hard-to-reach guy that has this lurking dark side but also just happens to have a heart of gold. Wait! Isn’t that most romance novels? Anyway, it works just as well in graphic format at it does typed out word-for-word.

The artwork is fair, it isn’t anything fantastic, but it isn’t the worst I’ve seen. I really enjoyed the idea of Christine Feehan’s novels being done in a graphic format, I think that it brings a lot to her ongoing series. Plus it’s just plain fun.

The story is pretty basic, a hunky alpha male goes for the luscious brunette, tells her that he is her life mate and she falls head over heels (and lets face it, Girls, it works). We don’t need anymore of the story because they are simply meant to be and he’s immortal as well as being gorgeous. (If it gets any more sickly sweet I think I’ll have to go watch some zombie movies.)

If you haven’t read the rest of Christine Feehan’s novels you will sink right into the story without feeling as if you have missed something. As it is you get a good idea and it really only whets the appetite for something a bit longer and with less pictures.

And after all that, the giggling like a preteen and setting the book aside when it just got to be too disgustingly romantic, I love it. I love it and yes I will be buying the next one in the series. I just can’t help myself. Dark Hunger is my new guilty pleasure.

12 comments:

T.C. Robson said...

Harlequin meets Stephenie Meyer? No wonder you giggled. Ha ha ha! Actually, it sounds pretty good. Fodder for the romantics in us all.

Katie said...

Well... kind of. Feehan's novels aren't really anything like Meyer's. If you haven't read them, and you don't mind the sex, they are very good. But they really are sex based, I mean they have plot, great characters, and action but... well yeah.

T.C. Robson said...

Books to hide under the mattresses, apparently. :)

Katie said...

But so good! I love them but my mom always says they are trash. But she thinks that all romance novels are trash... my husband doesn't care either way. he doesn't pay close enough attention to what I'm reading most of the time.

Doughnut said...

LOL...I am in your husband's category. I might pick up a book my wife is reading once in a great while. We each have our stack by beside the bed. She can read a lot longer than I can. Usually a couple of pages and I am gone!

I don't think guys read that many romance novels but I could be wrong. I am more into non-fiction but if it is fiction, I like mysteries. I am assuming this novel is a quick read because of its tantalating story line.

T.C. Robson said...

My Mom is a little lenient about that...if there's some sexual content in a book, she'll ask me for the book after I finish it so she can read it. She has the same dirty mind I do. :)

Yoga Gal said...

Sounds like great fun!

Katie said...

It was a lot of fun

Pallav said...

The cover looks ok-ish...but the market for graphic novels is pretty weird...and there is too much of awesome talent out there....
Still, always good to hear about a new author! :)

N

Katie said...

Nothingman, I agree. Some really great talent out there. I think that the big draw for this one will be people who are already fans of the author and her characters.

minijonb said...

hummm... this sounds like something Lisa might like... i'll have to look into it a bit. thx.

Katie said...

You have to buy it for her! She'll love it! :)