Sunday, August 26, 2007


I came across this first edition from 1946 in a local thrift store. Again and again I am amazed at what I can find for less than a dollar and Daphne du Maurier on top of that... well that's a good day.

This is another book I haven't read and for a long time I didn't realize that Daphne du Maurier had written anything else besides Rebecca. But then I found a copy of The Glassblowers and I was hooked. I read everything I could get my hands on.

A few things are easier to find than others. My Cousin Rachel and Jamaica Inn are still in print and relatively easy to find in your local bookstore. But while I'll Never Be Young Again, Frenchman's Creek, and House on the Strand are in print you will probably have to order them because I can never find copies in the bookstore.

You can see a full bibliography here... take a look and tell me which is your favorite.

4 comments:

Mayra Calvani said...

Great review, Katie! I recently bought the book in the States but haven't read it yet. I live in Belgium. But I have the same feeling. For some reason, these books are haunting even before you read them! I'm an author as well and wondered if you would be interested in reviewing my book, but I wasn't able to find your contact info. If you leave your advice here for me I'll check again in the comments for it, otherwise, my email is mcalvani (at) yahoo.com. I also recently started writing for Blogcritics.
Thanks!
Best,
Mayra
www.mayracalvani.com

Katie said...

Mayra, Thanks for stopping by! :) I totally agree with you about these books being haunting even before you read them. There is just something about an old book that feels so different from a new one.

I sent you an e-mail! I hope you got it. :) Thanks for getting in touch with me. :)

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I just put a post up about my first foray (I'm sure I'll reread it) into Rebecca.

Katie said...

Tia! Thanks for stopping by :)

Rebecca has always been one of my all time favorites, I'll have to come and read your post :)